A lot of people are often curious about my travels. Where I went, how long I stayed and what I did during those trips. That’s why I decided to make a Roadbook. In these roadbooks, I’ll tell you exactly that. This is the first one, from my 5 week trip to the USA with links to the photo reports I made back in the days.
I hope you’ll enjoy this and find it usefull for your own travels.
Time: September and October 2012.
Week 1: Chicago, Illinois and Grand Rapids, Michigan
On a Saturday morning I flew from Amsterdam Schiphol to Chicago O’hare with KLM, my favorite for long flights like these. I arrived on Saturday morning and spent the weekend in Chicago.
Done and seen in Chicago:
- Willis Tower for the amazing view
- The Magnificent Mile
- Cloud Gate (The Bean)
- Millennium Park
- Navy Pier
A friend picked me up in Chicago and drove me to his place in Grand Rapids, where I stayed for a week.
Seen and done in Grand Rapids:
- Art Prize – A free art route through the city.
- Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
- Orchard Hill Farm Market – Pumpkins, donuts and cider!
- Wine tasting at different vineyards.
- Enjoy the beautiful fall colored trees.
Week 2: Las Vegas, Nevada and Grand Canyon, Arizona
I took a plain from Grand Rapids to San Diego, where my cousin Roger picked me up. I had only seen him once when I was 12 years old, but it felt like I’ve known him for ages. From Carlsbad, where he lives, we did a little road trip to Las Vegas!
Seen and done in Las Vegas:
- Stayed in hotel The Palms
- Visited almost every hotel/casino on The Strip
- Freemont Street
- Drank huge margarita’s
From Las Vegas we took a bus tour to Grand Canyon.
Seen and done at Grand Canyon:
- South Rim bus tour
- Mather Point view
- Grand view point
- Grand Canyon visitor center.
Week 3: Los Angeles and Disney Land, Californië
When we were back in Carlsbad, my cousins Sionna and Aidan had some days off school, so we all went to Disney Land and we did an LA tour.
It was so much fun that the park was decorated for Halloween, it’s one of my favorite Hollidays and I loved all the pumpkins everywhere!
The next day we went to Los Angeles, where we did a tour to see as much as the LA highlights as possible.
Seen and done in Los Angeles:
- Hollywood walk of fame
- Hollywood sign
- Rodeo Drive
- Film locations
- Lunch at the Farmers Market
After our visit to Los Angeles we went to the coast to see Santa Monica and Venice Beach a.k.a. Muscle Beach.
Seen and done in Santa Monica and Venice Beach:
- Visited the famous Santa Monica Pier
- Enjoyed some beach time in Santa Monica
- Played in the arcade hall
- Sunset in Venice Beach
- ‘Work out’ in Venice Beach
- Ate the most delicious sweet potato fries ever.
Week 4: Pomona and San Clemente, Californië
In my fourth week in the US I stayed with my auntie Winnie and uncle Chris in Pomona, close to Los Angeles. I didn’t make a lot of photos there unfortunately, but I did bring my camera with us when they took me back to Carlsbad. We did a little lunch stop in San Clemente where we walked over the pier.
Seen and done from Pomona, Californië:
- Visited Newport Beach
- Swap meet – The Orange County Market Place
- Baby shower from one of my other cousins (and see the rest of the family)
- Fish taco’s and margaritas at Avila’s El Ranchito in San Clemente
Week 5: Carlsbad and San Diego, California
On my lost week in California I had to entertain myself, Roger had to go back to work. Unfortunately I wasn’t old enough to drive yet in the US, so Roger often dropped me of in San Diego in the mornings and picked me up after work, this way I was able to see a lot of San Diego anyway.
Seen and done in Carlsbad and San Diego:
- Balboa park and the Natural History Museum
- Shopping at Westfield Horton Plaza
- In-N-Out Burger
- Celebrated Halloween, trick or treating with Sionna en Aidan
- Cocktail’s on the roof at Mister A’s with a fantastic view over San Diego
- Sea World
- A lot of pumpkin spiced latte’s from Starbucks
- Coronado, an island next to San Diego’s coast
- Trolley tour through San Diego.
That’s it! I didn’t do as much as I use to on vacations, but this vacation was all about quality time with family, getting some rest and just be in a different environment.