This has been my go to cake for the last couple of birthdays. It’s delicious, perfect for this time of year and easy to make. It’s totally not healthy, but for special occasions it’s perfect for that balance, right?
What you need for the cake:
- 1 cup of plant based butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 400 grams of pumpkin, cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
What you need for the frosting:
- 200 grams unsalted and unroasted cashew (soaked overnight in water)
- 50 grams of powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 cup almond milk
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Put the cubed pumpkin in an oven dish put it in the preheated oven for 30 minutes
- Line a 20″ cake tin with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted, swirl constantly until it turns a golden color. Remove from heat.
- Put the white and brown sugar in a big mixing bowl and add the melted butter, stir until combined.
- When the pumpkin is nice and soft, use a (hand) blender to make it into a puree. Add it to the mixture with the scraped out seeds of the vanilla pod.
- Add the pumpkin spice, baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Fold in any add-ins desired (I like to add chopped walnuts) and put it into the cake tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes on 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
While you wait for the cake, make the frosting!
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor of blender and mix until you’ve got a smooth mixture.
- When the cake is cooled down, spread the frosting out on top of the cake and start eating!