When I was in California with my family I ate a lot of fish tacos. So whenever I’m ‘home’sick for Cali I make these.
- 2 tilapia filets, in bite size pieces
- 2-4 limes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 5 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ – ⅓ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½-1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- Place fish in a bowl and squeeze the juice from one lime over the fish. In a small bowl, whisk together garlic powder, cumin, cayenne and sea salt. Sprinkle over fish and gently rub the seasoning in. Allow the fish to marinate while you make the cabbage slaw.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cabbage, onion, cilantro, juice from the lime, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- Heat grill pan over medium-high fire. Cook fish until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Prep the tortillas according to the package.
- For grilled avocado: Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Drizzle with fresh lime juice and brush lightly with olive oil. Gently place cut-side down and grill over hot coals for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt, to taste. Bake it in a grill pan.
- Divide fish among tortillas and top with slaw and grilled avocado slices. Serve each taco with a lime wedge for squeezing over the taco before digging in. Enjoy!